Have you ever wondered which of the Spanish recipes in the Old Fools books gets most mentions and positive feedback? Well, it’s this one! Six steps to heaven…
Ingredients (serves 4)
• 50ml (2 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
• 250g (8oz) fresh mushrooms (sliced)
• 4-6 cloves of garlic (chopped or sliced)
• 3 tablespoons dry Spanish sherry
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• Large pinch of dried chili flakes
• Large pinch of paprika
• Salt, freshly ground pepper
• Chopped parsley to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms over a high heat for 2 or 3 minutes. Stir constantly.
2. Lower the heat and add the garlic, lemon juice, sherry, salt and pepper.
3. For a milder flavour you can leave it at that if you like. But if you like a few ‘fireworks’, now is the time to add the dried chili and paprika as well.
4. Cook for another 5 minutes or so until the garlic and mushrooms have softened, then remove from the heat.
5. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and divide up into pre-heated little dishes.
6. Serve with plenty of fresh, crusty bread to mop up the seriously garlicky juices.