When I asked if anybody had any photos of recipes they have cooked from the Old Fools series to be added to the new recipe book coming soon, I wasn’t prepared for a response like that of Susan Franey!
She’s been cooking up an Old Fools storm in her kitchen. Dish after dish, gorgeous photo after photo! Her husband must be the luckiest in the world and I want to move next door. 😁
This is Sticky Toffee Pudding a la Glennys from the first book, Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools. It won the village fiesta pudding contest. Of course. Seriously yum. 😁
• 1 ¼ cups chopped dates
• 1 ¼ cups water
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 60g (2oz) butter
• ¼ cup castor sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup self-raising flour
• 200g (8oz) brown sugar, firmly packed
• 1 cup fresh cream
• 20g (1oz) butter
1. Grease a deep round cake tin. Line the base with paper. Grease both the pan and the paper.
2. Combine dates and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat, add soda and stand 5 mins.
3. Blend or process until smooth.
4. Cream butter and sugar in a small bowl with a mixer until combined.
5. Beat in eggs one at a time.
6. Fold in the flour, then date mixture.
7. Bake in moderate oven for about 50 mins or until cooked through.
8. Allow to cool slightly and then turn onto a rack over an oven tray.
9. Pour ¼ cup of sauce over the pudding and return to the oven.
10. Bake uncovered for 5 mins more.
11. Serve with sauce and whipped cream.
1. Combine sugar, cream and butter in a saucepan and stir over heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved.
2. Simmer for 3 mins stirring all the time.
“This is the recipe that I used……however I had to improvise in Spain as the ingredients seemed a little different and we needed a larger amount. I added some chocolate powder to the cake mix, and I baked it in a large dish, not a tin, without turning out and over. I just poured some extra sauce over the top and then cooked it for a few extra minutes and served direct from the large dish.”
Glennys, Australian Home Exchanger
Come and join us on Facebook to find out how we are coping, day to day.
Friend requests welcome!