This is one of our most popular recipes, frequently highlighted by Kindle readers, so we definitely needed to include it in our new Spanish Recipes book!
Fried garlic prawns with sherry and paprika, a perfect tapa. This Spanish tapas recipe combines some real Spanish flavours: prawns from the Mediterranean, Fino sherry from Jerez, and smoked paprika from La Vera. Particularly delicious eaten outdoors.
by Victoria Twead and Gayle Macdonald
Fried Garlic Prawns with Paprika
Gambas al ajillo con pimentón
~ 10 minutes preparation ~
~ 6 to 8 minutes cooking ~
- 1 kg (2.2lbs) prawns
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- Splash of Fino sherry
1) Thoroughly wash the prawns. Peel, leaving the tails on.
2) Heat a generous slug of olive oil in a large terracotta cazuela or pan.
3) Add garlic, paprika and sherry, and fry for 2 minutes to infuse the olive oil.
4) Add prawns, season with black pepper and fry, turning regularly for four minutes, or until cooked through.
5) Serve on a bed of salad accompanied with fresh, crusty bread.