Ensaladilla – Spanish Potato Salad
A very popular starter or lunchtime tapas dish that is served all over Spain, lovely with a beer or a glass of Fino sherry.
Spanish Potato SaladEnsaladilla
~ 10 minutes preparation ~
~ 35 minutes cooking, including chilling time ~
3 medium potatoes
150g (51⁄4 oz) frozen peas
120g (4.2 oz) green beans topped, tailed and cut in half
1 large carrot
1 small onion
1 small red pepper
2 tablespoons green olives
1 medium tomato
1 tablespoon capers
For the dressing:
200ml (61⁄2 US fl.oz) mayonnaise
1 teaspoon French mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1) Wash the potatoes and cut into chunks or thick slices, and peel and dice the carrot.
2) In a saucepan, cook the potatoes and carrots until just tender.
3) Add the peas and green beans to the same pan and cook for a further 5 minutes until all the vegetables are done.
4) While the vegetables are cooking, place the eggs into a pan and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
5) Drain the vegetables and place in a large bowl or serving dish.
6) Peel and finely chop the onion. Finely dice the pepper and tomato, peel and slice the hard-boiled eggs.
7) Add the pepper, onion, eggs, capers, tomato and olives to the other vegetables, and mix together.
8) Make a dressing by mixing the mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice in a separate bowl.
9) Spoon the dressing onto the salad, a tablespoon at a time, and mix together. Don’t overload the salad with the mayonnaise dressing.
10) Chill for 20 minutes before serving.
11) Serve with a garnish of chopped parsley and ground black pepper.