Barbecued Lemon Sardines – Delicious!
Cooking sardines on the barbecue is very popular here in Spain, taking advantage of the hot coals to get that lovely, smoky flavour. This recipe for sardines is really simple and uses lemon and thyme.
Barbecued Lemon Sardines
Sardinas con Limon
Mouth-Watering Spanish Recipes
Serves 6 – 8
10 – 15 mins preparation
10 mins cooking
- 24 fresh sardines
- 2 lemons
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Clean and butterfly the sardines (your fishmonger will do this for you) by removing the heads and spine. Rinse thoroughly.
- Cut each lemon in half (lengthways) and then slice each half into six thin slices.
- Lay a sheet of kitchen foil over your opened hinged grill.
- Lay out the opened up sardines, skin side down and place a slice of lemon on one half and then close the sardine again. Do this for all of the fish.
- Place the thyme sprigs over the top of all the fish and season well with salt and pepper.
- Lay another sheet of kitchen foil over the top and close the grill.
- Barbecue each side for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add a generous drizzle of olive oil and serve with salad or fresh bread.