My magnetic granddaughter

My littlest granddaughter, Winter, is walking now, and very mobile. She still pops everything in her mouth which is always a worry.

After putting the children to bed, my daughter came across a fridge magnet, minus the magnet…

She searched in vain for it. Had Winter swallowed it? My daughter phoned the hospital.

“I think my baby may have swallowed a magnet, is that dangerous?” she asked. “Should I be worried?”

“Well,” said the expert, “batteries are the most dangerous thing to swallow, but magnets come a close second. I suggest you come in for an x-ray.”

Of course it had to be the night  my son-in-law was playing ice hockey, so my daughter was alone. She asked her mother-in-law to look after Indy, then woke Winter and drove to the hospital. Winter thoroughly enjoyed herself and charmed all the nurses. Three hours later, the x-ray showed… precisely nothing.

Still, in spite of the worry, the time, and the expense ($350), we are happy in the knowledge that Winter doesn’t have a magnetic tummy.

“What?” said my son when he heard the story. “You should have passed her over some paperclips first, before dashing off to the hospital.”

Do join me on Facebook  to find out how we’re coping, day to day…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

camel Two Old Fools in Spain Again One Young Fool in Dorset One Young Fool in South Africa